Keco Engineered Controls: Process Control Instrumentation

Dwyer paddle style flow switch

Flow Switches

Flow switches are often used when a simple economical, yet reliable, instrument is required to determine if air, gas, liquid, or solids are flowing in a pipe within a targeted flow range.
Flow switches are usually mounted directly in a pipeline. The most common types are paddle, piston, shuttle and thermal dispersion (no moving parts).

Normally flow switches send an electronic or electric contact output to a valve or other device to begin or end the flow in the line.